Should med school include/require human rights courses? 

Check out this article and share your thoughts with us.

"Why doctors should study human rights" --The Washington Post

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely, I believe all medical students should receive training in understanding the fundamentals of human rights. But why stop at medical schools alone? In a world with increasing instability, rampant human rights violations and state-sponsored mass atrocities unfolding globally every single day, it has become imperative that we as a humanity now transcend the blind dogma of nationalism and nativism in order to adopt a paradigm in which we view ourselves as global citizens, joined collectively in the challenge of tackling these wide-spread abuses wherever and whenever they occur, in order to achieve a more just, equitable and peaceful world for all people. Physicians, as well as all health care providers, are uniquely poised to be powerful advocates for the respect of human rights and dignity of all people due to their occupational privileges. Lest it be overlooked, we must remember that when our sisters and brothers are brutalized the world over, it is very often to medical attention do their immediate needs turn, therefore as medical professionals not only entering into the field of tomorrow but also into the world of tomorrow, it is no longer enough to be equipped with the knowledge to treat the individual in front of us alone, but we must also be prepared with the proficiency to remedy the ailments of the system which contributed to the sickness of that person.

–O

RSS

Job Opportunities

The Chicana Latina Foundation Board Executive Director

Created by Helen Harrison Jun 15, 2017 at 9:37am. Last updated by Helen Harrison Jun 15.

State Women's Health Social Work Consultant - North Carolina

Created by Helen Harrison Jun 15, 2017 at 9:36am. Last updated by Helen Harrison Jun 15.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Looking for extra help on your Statement of Purpose?

Need advising or coaching on the application process?

MyHCN can read and review your essay, and provide one-on-one advising.

Contact us at myhcn1@gmail.com

Events

Statement of Purpose Review & Coaching Services

Coaching services are now available to you build and navigate your authentic health career plan. 

If you are currently applying to graduate programs, we can help you with your Statement of Purpose! We offer a range of review services, including:

• Coaching on your writing process and initial drafts
  • One-one-one advising
  • Reviewing your essay and providing feedback

If you would like more information on our Statement of Purpose Review Services, or our other coaching services, please contact us at 
myhcn1@gmail.com

Forum

Health and Human Rights

Started by MyHCN Administrator. Last reply by Omar S. Ullah Sep 26, 2016. 1 Reply

Should med school include/require human rights courses? Check out this article and share your thoughts with us."Why doctors…Continue

Paying for Grad School

Started by Liset Garcia. Last reply by Kevin Beel Feb 4, 2016. 1 Reply

Hi everyone! I am very excited to start grad school this summer!! However, I noticed that the financial aid I am eligble for and being offered to pay for grad school are all loans. YIKES! I am so worried about becoming in debt, and was…Continue

© 2017   Created by Jeff Oxendine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service