THE POSITION: YouthWire, an independent project of Community Partners, seeks to hire someone for the role of full time Program Associate and Reporter for the We’Ced program based in Merced, CA. The Program Associate and Reporter reports directly to the We’Ced Program Manager & Editor and will work collaboratively with the program’s youth participants and local program partners, most importantly those affiliated with the Building Healthy Communities (BHC) campaign.
Responsibilities and Duties
Specific Duties and Responsibilities :
- Media/Journalism Production:
- Be ready and available for field assignments directed by We’Ced’s Program Manager, with some assignments on very short notice -- and become a “rapid responder” to cover breaking news or other time-sensitive content needs, as directed.
- File at least three stories a month for We’Ced publication (print, video, photography, multimedia, etc.)
- Content produced by Program Associate and Reporter should focus on issues broadly defined under the scope of “community health” in Merced and the Central Valley as indicated by Program Manager and YouthWire Executive Director.
- Work with Program Manager to develop story ideas and edit articles, using We’Ced’s Merced office as a base of operations, although sometimes working remotely from the field.
- Implement strategies to promote distribution of media content, including social media and web publishing.
- Program Support:
- Support Program Manager in the execution of a youth media program that emphasizes community reporting and journalism, story research, development of individual voice/opinion, and critical thinking skills.
- Augment Program Manager’s efforts to provide youth with adequate writing/editorial, technical and mentoring support to complete assignments.
- Help Program Manager identify and source additional multimedia story content from like-minded contributors not in the core youth program cohort.
- Adhere to and practice principles of successful youth development work: including emotional/physical safety, healthy relationship building, leadership development, community involvement and skills building.
- Support Program Manager in ensuring the program is providing a safe and supportive space for youth reporters and staff, including recruitment of new youth.
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills are a must (writing samples required).
- Journalism and youth development experience are highly desired.
- User knowledge of Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative, and /or other digital editing tools is highly desired
- Experience in youth work and/or mentoring teens is highly desired.
- Some adeptness at use of social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) is required.
- Able to work on assignments independently and deliver quality work on time is required.
- Familiarity with and connection to communities in and around Merced and the Central Valley is required.
- Bilingual English/Spanish and Hmong and other language fluencies are a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent professional experience a plus but are not required if currently working toward a degree.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive within California and the Central Valley as needed is required.
Competitive benefits, including medical dental and vision.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $34,000.00 to $38,000.00 /year
Indeed Link here!