Student Advisor Position Description:
Under the supervision of the Program Director and FACES staff, the FSMA Student Advisors will assist FSMA staff with the planning, coordination, and implementation of the daily operational activities of the FSMA program. This includes supervision and mentoring of the student participants, coordination of program workshops, co-facilitation and teaching of some workshops and program activities, and assistance with evaluation of the program. Additionally, the Student Advisor will participate in a training prior to the start of the summer program that will prepare them for the formal program. The program operations take place primarily onsite at Samuel Merritt University. Compensation in the form of a stipend is available.
See the video and website here:
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in a mandatory Student Advisor Orientation at the Public Health Institute in Oakland, CA
- Participate in a pre-program training for 20 hours (June 27 – July 8 – schedule TBD) with FSMA staff that will focus on workshop facilitation, leadership training, program planning, etc.
- Assist with planning, coordination and implementation of the day-to-day program activities, including (though not limited to) planning and facilitating daily program workshops.
- Supervise and mentor student participants to ensure that students’ goals are being met, and effectively resolve problems as they arise.
- Responsible for developing and presenting talk on specific body organ for gross anatomy/cadaver workshop.
- Develop and expand Student Handbook.
- Participate fully in program evaluation process.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Program staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be actively pursuing an education/training which directly leads to a career in medicine, nursing or other-related area of healthcare.
- Exceptional leadership and organizational skills, and ability to effectively manage high school students.
- Must be mature, professional, and dependable.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with high school/college students, parents, program personnel, healthcare professionals and community partners.
- Ability to work on multiple projects requiring good record maintenance and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently, problem-solve and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Personal computer basics, including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to take initiative toward improving the overall success of the program.
- Ability to relate to youth is essential.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be highly motivated.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for Summer 2017 are now available! You can now apply online (go environmentally-friendly) or print out the paper application. Applications are due April 14, 2017 by 5PM PST.
We have openings for three student advisors. The stipend is $1,500 and the program will be providing lunch.
For questions or more information about the FACES Summer Medical Academy, please contact our Project Coordinator, Angela Thai at 510-290-9846 or email@example.com.