WHO YOU ARE:
The Senior Community Activism Manager oversees the community outreach staff by
providing training and coaching needed to organize and execute activism campaigns. The ideal
candidate will have a strong affinity for networking and building strategic relationships and a
passion for the mission of Truth Initiative, helping to create America's first tobacco-free
Truth Initiative is an award-winning nonprofit organization dedicated to addressing our nation's
number one preventable cause of disease and death. To speak, seek and spread the truth
about tobacco, we are building a team of smart, creative and passionate professionals who
represent diverse backgrounds and disciplines. Find out more about us at truthinitiative.org.
- Identify and develop opportunities for activism within Truth Initiative’s three focus areas of menthol/flavored products, smoke-free environments, and tobacco in popular culture.
- Develop issue advocacy program content, including calls to action and program activities.
- Act as a thought partner to the Vice President of Campaigns, Community and Youth Engagement on strategy and tactics for expanding the activism program.
- Oversee community outreach staff by providing the management, training, and coaching needed to organize and execute activism campaigns.
- Serve as master trainer for external partners and stakeholders on tobacco control issues and advocacy.
- Work with our award-winning marketing team to generate online engagement in activism activities.
- Utilize your expertise in remote management, travel for site visits and conduct one-on-one meetings with community outreach staff.
- Manage staff meetings and trainings, conference calls, and frequent phone or video meetings with community outreach staff.
- Supervise and coach community outreach staff on using grassroots and grasstops organizing to meet the strategic power building goals in each geographic location.
- Encourage use of direct-action, as necessary and appropriate to advance campaigns.
- Integrate community organizing with long-term, sustainable community-driven policy change efforts.
- Work with our evaluation team to create and implement evaluation procedures, including measuring success, tracking participation and outcomes, reporting results, and taking follow-up actions as necessary.
- Manage all budgets associated with community outreach programs and serve as responsible steward of Truth Initiative’s funding.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in campaign organizing, including development and implementation.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with youth and young adults and diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, and socioeconomic lines.
- 2+ years of experience managing remote staff.
- Experience in community outreach or relevant combination of professional training and experience, preferably within the city/state.
- Strong affinity for networking and building strategic relationships.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Willingness to work non-traditional work hours and weekends.
- Proven efficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and internet.
- Ability to travel 25%
Interested candidates should submit a resume with salary history, and cover letter here: http://truthinitiative.applytojob.com/apply/vvuZAD37dp/Senior-Community-Activism-Manager
Mail application materials to:
Attn: Senior Community Activism Manager
900 G Street, NW, Fourth Floor
Washington, DC 20001