We are seeking an experienced Data Analyst to join the Center for Innovation to Implementation (Ci2i) located at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS), Menlo Park Division.
Please email the Principal Investigator directly with a CV and cover letter, and with any questions: Amanda Midboe, PhD (Amanda.Midboe@va.gov)
The Data Analyst will manage and construct datasets and databases, and conduct statistical analyses in support of research projects and national health priorities. A typical dataset or database constructed for research can include hundreds of thousands of patients and dozens of variables. Please see below for a more detailed list of required job responsibilities:
Job Responsibilities include:
Computer Database Management
- Extract data from VA administrative data sources (e.g., Corporate Data Warehouse, Vista Web, MCA/DSS, VA Vital status files, etc.) in support of research projects. Develop complex, sophisticated, accurate queries in SQL (Microsoft SQL Server Products, SAS PROC SQL). Use statistical (e.g., SAS, R, Stata, or SPSS) and database (e.g., MS Access, T-SQL) computer programs to construct and manage datasets and databases relevant to research projects.
- Create and implement statistical analysis plans.
- Check validity of data and programs through use of frequencies, listings, summaries, and calculate meaningful data metrics (e.g., cost per day, average length of stay, or others as appropriate).
- Conduct univariate and multivariate statistical data analyses. Conduct multivariate regression analyses using ordinary least squares, logistic, and survival models.
- Review analytical results for accuracy and completeness. Organize and summarize results using tabular or graphic representation as well as narrative description.
Programming and metric development
- Use Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) to calculate performance on a wide variety of measures of program efficiency and effectiveness and display this data in an easily understood format.
- Evaluate data resulting from the application of mathematical statistical tools, models, methods, and techniques.
- Contribute to development of programming and documentation templates for analyzing VA data. Employ these templates in daily work.
- Undertake assigned tasks in support of research needs which may include: measure development, attending study meetings, assisting in administrative or data editing tasks, and serving as a consultant on programming topics.
Communication and dissemination
- Proofread and edit drafts of research materials (e.g., statistical reports, manuscripts) and make recommendations to senior staff regarding their clarity, organization, and layout.
- Contribute to publications, proposals, presentations
The requirements are a U.S. citizen with a PhD (or equivalent doctoral degree) or a master’s degree in the health sciences or allied sciences with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position at a GS-11/12 grade level. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/salary-tables/pdf/2018/SF.pdf